OLYMPIC. Calas, ports of refuge, and some storms.

I havent been updating the blog of late as we have had a busy time.
There is an adage about the Med that there is either too much wind or too little and usually in the wrong direction.
Over the years when we have chartered sailing boats or taken our old Narrowboat out, we had a limited amount of time, objectives and an agenda.
This has meant island or bay hopping plans to max out the best of a short time and do lots of Evolutions, go ashore and get the best out of a limited journey.

I have been consciously trying to break that mould. This is retirement and a holiday on retirement.
The spin off is a decent shakedown, break what was going to break and adapt our thinking and get the logistics right. (Clothes, food, comestibles, and stress the water and energy budgets.)
I haven't sailed since i was last in Croatia some 7 years ago so i am rusty. Mrs whilst technically a Day Skipper is rustier still...meaning evolutions like taking on water or diesel  resetting anchors or shortening sail need explain 'how to do' 'where to do' and 'when to do'...all inside my own OODA loop. And that's on a boat i haven't sailed before, and on which i have considerable skin in the game.

Long and short is we have slowed the pace down. We arent doing the Whole Balearics in our first hop...lets just Cala hop..stay a few days in places we like or if the wind doesn't serve. Nip ashore. Do boat jobs. Lots of BBQs. Lots of cleaning. 

18th Aug. Cala San Miguel to Cala Portinatx. 

CSM was chilled out and comfortable but we want to see what was on the NE of the Island. Winds were Ely about F4 so it was sails up and coast a comfortable 5.5 to 6kts along the achingly beautiful NorthWest coast of Ibiza. All 300 to 400' cliffs, little pine shrouded bays and sheltered calas. 

But as we reached the NE tip of the Island we were schooled in the ways of Ibiza weather. Headlands always strengthen a wind. The Gradient wind here isn't usually much but sea and land breezes with katabatic effect too often produce 'local effects'.
We went from a F4 to F5 beam reach to an on-the-nose F6 to F7 with F8 gusts and a chop to match.
Nah. Dont like this. Our nearest port of refuge was a 3 armed Cala: Cala Portinatx. 

Punta Moscsarté: An Lightouse. Northern most point of Ibiza.


So we turned around and motored in.  Turned out it was also calm, pretty, not too busy. Good enough holding, 10m in sand, and patches of weed.
Let's chill out and plan next steps.
We decided we will do another say here amd a glance at the weather apps suggested a reasonable NWly on Thursday 20th. Lets book a slot in Santa Eulalia for then and we have time to crawl our way there.
Time to toast our complaisance.

19th Aug. Did nothing. Mucked around.
Thursday 20th Cala Portinatx to Santa Eulalia.

Despite the terrifying cost of a marina in August (€240 with water and power). We thought oh well. Lets get up do the 20 miles round the top and then make the most of it. Waste water egregiously. Dine in a decent place. Shore going rig etc.

We set out around 0930...the wind was on our port quarter as we headed North East. Healthy 6kts.

We rounded the headlands, past Isla Tagomago and turned South West with a comfortable F3 and a fully Genoa to ease our way ahead of schedule.
Thats when we spotted a squall line. Albeit high altitude. A wall of grey cloud at 8 to 10,000'. But angry sea underneath. Time to get the Genoa in. 
Before we came sailing we had the mast unstepped and the genoa unfurled on thee dock and a tear repaired. It was furled by hand and rerigged. 
The upshot was when you tried to furl it in a stiff breeze, it furled much tighter than the previous line had rolled around the furler. Im short...rolling all the curling line in left about 20% of the genoa out. This had the effect of pushing the bow off the wind hard.
The mini squall then hit...a 180degree wind shift and a shift from F4/F5 to freshening F6/7 and building a sea to match. 
We had been a mile from the marina. (Note: described as 'hazardous in a strong S or SWly)
A few attempts later to get the genny out and then in made little difference...and the scrap of canvas made heading the boat steadily close to the wind nigh on impossible. 
Its now blowing 30 to 35kts, a dangerous entrance and a boat that won't play ball..especially not on an outer mole.
Don't like this picture. 2 sides of the fuck up triangle in place already. Workload v high, situational awareness under threat and an agenda. 
Simple call. Port of refuge, get back to the Lee of the island and swallow the lost cost.
The way back was a lesson too. F6 soo became a solid F8. A full gale. 
Closest refuge Clot D'es Llamp. Shaky holding. If its quiet and I can get her in and the hook down in 10 to 15 metres...maybe make it work even if I have to sit anchor watch for half the night.
As we rounded Punta Grosa we were hit with a 50kt gust on the beam. No. We need shelter now.
We turn into the bay with the engine on and its packed with everyone having the same idea.
It has taken until 5pm to get here..4hrs daylight left.
No swinging room and what little there was was already taken. Couldn't find 20 metres outside of that radius from a  nasty looking shore. 
Nope. I spoke to Mrs. Our best hope is Portinatx again. 2 hrs away. We know we can cope and we have enough daylight. 
With this the gale backed from SW to E'ly
So with 30 to 35kts gusting 40 on our port bow we had to keep the engine on. 

Portinatx looked like this when we got in. The darker grey clouds did not promise a quiet night. We hurriedly boiled up some gnocchi for quick carbs and made sure we had plenty of chain and swinging room.

Just as well. As within 30 mins it looked like the next pic.
Torrential blinding stinging rain. Complete darkness. Sky crossing bolts of lightning..including one that struck the lighthouse (just around the corner from the Cala).
Ferocious gusts. 50kts..55kts. Over 60 at one point. Anchor chain bar tight and the rigging shrieking. As the gusts howled down the other boats were swinging wildly around their own chains. 
I love an electric storm...but not at sea. This means hunkering on deck to be ready to move in an emergency. Fenders ready..listening for the ominous scrape of an anchor dragging.
4 hrs the storm raged for...with a rolling swell to match. But by about 2AM it had settled into a manageable 20kts.
I collapsed into bed with half an eye and ear for mishap. A fitful and uncomfortable night.
First thing the next morning?

The med and her moods, eh?
Tell you what, though. Bloody love my stupidly big anchor and chain!
But 12 hrs to end up where we started and 30 odd litres of diesel?

So a few days in Portinatx...relax and refresh. Fix the Genoa. Sort the dinghy out on to her davits rather than the foredeck. Then when we need water and diesel, toddle back down to SanAn.


Comments

  1. Lost for words 😬🫣💨🌪️🌊⚓️

    ReplyDelete
  2. That which does not destroy you, makes you grow stronger. Faith in the rig and our grand tackle in Storm force winds, now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know you’ve still got it (whatever IT is!!)

      Delete
    2. Yes..definitely had 'it' but I have some cream in the med locker which is helping. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Roobarb's Reach blog - how this is probably going to pan out

Blogging has been light...